Friday, November 5, 2010

The Dorsey Brothers in 1928

Here's one of my favourite recordings by the Dorsey Brothers Orchestra. I first heard this tune performed much slower by Annette Hanshaw, but Jimmy and Tommy Dorsey turn it into a stomping tune, particularly after the vocal.

Listen especially for the hot trumpet solo towards the end by Tommy Dorsey. The brothers began on cornet, and both played this instrument impressively on records during the 1920s. Apparently even when his 'sweet' band was at the height of its popularity in the late 1930s, Tommy would still occasionally borrow a trumpet from his brass section and unleash a hot chorus or two.

I also enjoy the singing from Harold 'Scrappy' Lambert. His style hasn't aged as well as Al Bowlly's, but it is wonderfully polished.

Perhaps the best bit for me is the arranging - I love the way the tuba is used as part of the brass section during the final choruses. Reminds me of the Ben Pollack band of the same era.

No comments:

Post a Comment