Friday, October 14, 2011

Rediscovering 'My Silent Love'

I've been hearing this song for half my life, but I never really listened to it until today.

One of my musical heroes is the late US/honorary Australian multi-instrumentalist Tom Baker. He recorded 'My Silent Love' on one of his albums years ago, and while I've treasured the album, that particular track has held comparatively little of my time.

So I was astounded when listening to the Washboard Rhythm Kings playing 'My Silent Love' - the muted trumpet sounded just like Tom! This focused my attention on what a gorgeous melody it is. No wonder Tom chose to revive it.

Dig this dance band version - pretty straight, but a good melody doesn't need much improvement:

1 comment:

Kim Harris said...

Great song. My two favourite versions are George Shearing's (in the key of D!) and Rosemary Clooney's with Marion McPartland on a "piano Jazz" recording.

Composer is Dana Suesse. So few songs written by women have made it into the canon. Examples: "Willow Weep for Me" (Ann Ronell); "Can't We Be Friends?" (Kay Swift); and "Some Other Spring" (Irene Kitchings/ Wilson/ Armstrong).

Post a Comment